Darmasiswa Scholarship Programs
“DARMASISWA is a scholarship program offered to all foreign students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to study Bahasa, art and culture. Participants can choose one of selected universities located in different cities in Indonesia. This program is organized by the Ministry of Education and Culture (MoEC) in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA).”
The DARMASISWA program was started in 1974 as part of ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) initiative, admitting only students from ASEAN. However, in 1976 this program was extended to include students from other countries such as Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and USA. In early 90's, this program was extended further to include all countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia. Until to date, the number of countries participating in this program is more than 80 countries.
The main purpose of the DARMASISWA program is to promote and increase the interest in the language and culture of Indonesia among the youth of other countries. It has also been designed to provide stronger cultural links and understanding among participating countries.
- Online registration - 1 Januari 2019 until 1 March 2019
- Interview at related KBRI/KJRI - 4 March 2019 until 15 March 2019
- Selection by the University (online) - 18 March 2019 until 3 April 2019
- Announcement - 10 April 2019
- Attendance confirmation - 10 April 2019 until 30 April 2019
- Final Announcement - 6 May 2019
- Flight itinerary confirmation - 7 May 2019 until 1 August 2019
- Arrival at Jakarta, Indonesia - 28 August 2019
- Orientation program at Jakarta, Indonesia - 29 until 30 August 2019
Prospective students are required to register and submit all documents in Darmasiswa RI official website apply.darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id. For students who are not in the student's home country is not allowed to be registered through the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General in the participating countries (non-citizenship).
QUALIFICATIONS OF STUDENTS
- Preferably Student
- Completed secondary education or its equivalent
- Minimum age 17 years and Not older than 35 years of age
- Able to communicate in English and additional Bahasa Indonesia(Proven by English Language Proficiency Certificate : TOEFL/TOEIC/IELTS or OTHER CERTIFICATE if applicable)
- In good health as proven by Medical Certificate
- Have basic knowledge of the field you're applying
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Medical certificate
- Passport valid at least 18 months from time of arrival in Indonesia
- Recommendation Letter From Education Institution / Professional Institution on official letterhead and signature (in English)
- Last academic transcript and certificates (in English)
- Language certificate (if applicable)
- Other certificates that related to the field you're applying (if applicable)
- Writing essay about purpose of study (in english or bahasa Indonesia maximum 500 words)
- Students monthly stipend will be divided into 2 groups of area: Area 1 Rp. 2.950.000,- (Batam, Jakarta, Bandung, Surabaya, Denpasar, Makassar, Manado), Area 2 Rp. 2.550.000,- (Aceh, Padang, Palembang,Purwokerto, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Surakarta, Malang, Samarinda)
- Students will be provided with accommodation and transportation during the Orientation Program if time arrival in time with the schedule from the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Students will get settlement allowance when attending the Orientation Program.
- Students legal permit arrangement with the help of the Host University will be supported by Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Students may seek assistance from Host University in finding a house/room to rent which is included in monthly stipend
- Students must sign a statement letter provided by the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General.
- Students are requested to inform the Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation, Ministry of Education and Culture regarding date and time of arrivals to Indonesia for pick up arrangement.
- Students must arrive in Indonesia a day before the Orientation Program.
- Students will responsible for the accommodation arrangement and immigration expenses if time arrival is not in time with the schedule arranged by Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Students must follow the study until the end of the program.
- Students must write final report to the Host University and Ministry of Education and Culture after finishing the study in Indonesia.
- CLASSROOM RULES
- Students must dress courteously and with decency during their study in classroom and on campus (sleeveless tops, shorts and sandals are prohibited)
- Cell phones are to be turned off during study in the classroom.
- The allowable maximum lateness is 15 minutes.
- CLASSROOM ATTENDANCE
- The minimum class attendance is 75% of the total class sessions per month. Any students who fail to meet the attendance requirement in a certain month are not entitled to the monthly allowance for the subsequent month.
- Only students with a minimum class attendance of 75% of the total class sessions for a semester are eligible to sit for the Final/Achievement test.
- Permission for nor attending a class session are given to the DRI participants only for the following conditions:
- illness (a doctor’s written statement must be presented)
- Parents/Family visit (allowable maximum class absence is 1 week)
- Immigration matters
- On duties assigned by the Host University
- ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
- Altering the selected field of study or host university is not permitted
- participants overdue arrival to the University at least 1 week after program started at the University.
- Travelling out of Indonesia during academic period of study is not permitted, except for emergency, such as: unexpected death or severe illness of parents and completion of study/graduation ceremony in the origin country
- Travelling out of Indonesia is only permitted for 1 (one) time during the academic holidays (allowable maximum leave is 2 weeks)
- DRI participants must submit a written final report to the Host University and Ministry of Education and Culture upon their completion of study in Indonesia.
- ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATES OR STATEMENTS OF STUDY COMPLETION
Only participants who meet the academic requirements and sit for the achievement test of their study are awarded a certificate of study or a statement of study completion by the Host University.
DRI participants are subject to imposition of sanctions under the following conditions:
- Any participants who fail to meet the minimum attendance requirement of 75% of the total class sessions in the previous month are not entitled to the monthly allowance for the subsequent month
- Any participants who fail to meet the minimum attendance requirement of 75% of the total class sessions in 1 semester are not eligible to sit for an achievement test and/or receive a certificate.
- Any participants who commit a violation against the other academic regulations (exclusive of classroom attendance) for the first time will be given a spoken reprimand by the authority of the Host University. Upon the second violation, the participants will be given a Letter of Reprimand 1 (SP1). Upon the third violation, the participants will be given a Letter of Reprimand 2 (SP2). Upon another violation, the participants will be given a Letter of Reprimand 3 (SP3). Upon issuance of Letter of Reprimand 3 (SP3), the scholarship is terminated and the participants are not eligible to sit for the achievement test of the study and deportation.
- Host Universities with the approval from BPKLN may revoke the sponsorship letter and residential/stay permit for any participants upon any violation of regulations or upon the completion of term of study. The participants whose sponsorship letter and residential permit are revoked must return to their origin country at their own expense.
NON- ACADEMIC REGULATIONS
- Must comply with the prevailing laws and regulations of the Republic of Indonesia
- Must comply with the the existing regulations of the Host University
- Must not work/earn a living while studying in Indonesia.
- Must not engage in political and criminal activities
- Must not get involved with drug trafficking ( either as a drug abuser or trafficker)
- Must not bring along any family members even if it is at their own expense during the study
- Must not perform immoral acts
- Must be able to adapt and interact with the surrounding people and culture
- Must not perform any activities related to certain indoctrination
- Any participants who commit a violation against the prevailing laws and regulation of the Republic of Indonesia are subject to imposition of sanctions in accordance with the prevailing laws and regulations of the Republic of Indonesia.
- Any participants who commit a violation against the existing regulations of the Host University are subject to imposition of sanctions in accordance with the prevailing regulations of the Host University and/or Letter of Reprimand issued by the authority. Host University with the approval from BPKLN may repatriate any participants for their commission of a violation.
- Any participants who commit a same violation will be given a Letter of Reprimand 3 (SP3). This violation results in the student being deported.
ADMINISTRATIVE AND FINANCIAL REGULATIONS
- The scholarship granted to the participants conforms with the 12 month of study program.
- Any participants who intend to terminate their term of study before the program in the university ends are only entitled to the allowance for the month they are to leave for their origin country.
- DRI participants receive their monthly allowance in the first week of each month providing that the participants meet the minimum attandance requirement of 75 % of the total class sessions in the previous month.
- DRI participants will receive their monthly allowance providing that they remain in Indonesia during their academic period of study and academic holidays.